Monday, July 5, 2010

Double Blessing – Good things do happen sometimes.

Blessing number 1:

Quite a while back, when Bill couldn’t drive anymore, we gave his car to the boys. Wasn’t such an issue for us, I am within walking distance to work, our two youngest were on the bus route to schools etc. Then between the two boys they racked up a whole heap of fines, from speeding fines, to parking fines, to you name it they got fined for it…….Dang…..SO, I sold the car out from under them, paid off the fines and that left us carless. (Again, not really an issue then). The last couple of months have been pretty trying in terms of getting anywhere, mainly while Bill was in hospital, my neighbours (our cousins) gave us use of one of their cars during this period, bless them. Bill left hospital on the Wednesday and on the following Sunday while at the club, something crazy happened. Mums boss, who also happens to be a relation of ours rocked on in to the club, took me aside and told me she had brought my family a car…….I thought to myself, get outta here, those sorts of things don’t happen to us! Now, she had obviously had a drink or 10 lol, and I wasn’t really taking her seriously. BUT, while I was at work on Monday, the phone rang, it was my Mum telling me the car was ready to be picked up from the car dealers, NOW…. Well, I just about fell off my chair. I still wasn’t believing it, phoned our oldest son at work, told him what had happened, asked him if he could take the rest of the afternoon off work and to go pick the car up for us, I was too busy thinking I was dreaming the whole thing. An hour later, my family and I were sitting at home looking like stunned mullets at this gift that had been given to us… What do you say to people who just out of the blue do things like that, geez it’s been two weeks and I’m still pinching myself. Thank You just seems so inadequate.

Blessing number 2:

Just before Christmas we applied for a lotteries grant to purchase a mobility van with hoist for Bill. You guessed it…..this past week we were notified by the lotteries board that our application had been approved. GOBSMACKED! I picked the letter up from the mailbox, started reading it and by the time I got on to our deck I was doing a dance and whooping and spluttering and generally looking like an idiot, then I showed Bill the letter and honestly he almost, ALMOST jumped out of bed and did a jig himself…..lol. Good grief, from no vehicle to 2 vehicles in 2 weeks. We are still shaking our heads not believing what has happened. Nothing like this has ever happened to us before, and I don’t think it will ever happen quite like this again, but hell its put a smile on Bills face that makes it all worth while. Have started the hunt for the van which will need to be approved by a qualified assessor as being appropriate for Bills needs, and once the van has been approved then we need to do the modifications (fit the hoist etc). So not sure how long that process will take, but hopefully by next month sometime,  Bill will have van and Bill will travel YES!

Just wanted to share that with you all, still can’t quite believe it. Have got to say that we’ve been visited by angels over the past several weeks, from our cousins next door,to mums boss (you know who you are) to the lotteries board and those who helped us put that application together THANK YOU!

The Gardiners

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!
Rick and I are so excited for you guys and could not happen to a more deserving courageous couple.

As I read your blog to Rick we were laughing and crying for joy all at the same time for you and your family.
Happy motoring!!!!
From your Canadian Friends
Rick and Joan

PS Thanks for worrying about us when we were off line last week. And also thanks for your very kind and supportive email you sent!!!! It sure meant a lot to both of us!!!! Rick says you are on for that drink Mate!!!! But you are right...not for a long time yet!!!!